Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Improv creativity



We have recently discussed the creativity found in improvisational theater. It is fascinating to me how much creativity is involved with this type of theater. I never really understood the practice that is involved with the actors, but I really appreciate their ability to create a performance that is total improv. It may become easy to them, because it is a way of communication, and we all know that communication is entirely improvisational, but it is one thing to create a performance in which the audience can relate to, and it be funny.

I have had little experience with improv theater, from things like different drama games or seeing my friends participate in improv groups at school, but while reading about the improvisational theater, I was able to relate it to the performance I attended by the group "Second City." "Second City" is the comedy theater and school of improv that is based out of Chicago. It is most famously known where comedians Will Farrel and Tina Fey started their careers. I was able to see a group perform in Atlanta, and I became fascinated with this performance. I caught myself talking about the different scenes constantly, and appreciating this art of improv. This creativity that these actors had made for an outstanding performance, and I was able to relate what we read in class the areas in which their training of improv, is best portrayed. I know realize the creativity that was involved with the improv that I saw. I look forward to seeing more improv performances in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment